Monday, 11 March 2013

Brummy Band Interview!



Birmingham is the home town to mega stars such as UB40, Duran Duran and Black Sabbath. But how easy is it nowadays for bands and singers to make it in Birmingham?

I caught up with Adam Stevens, the drummer in heavy rock band, Liberty Lies. The five piece unsigned band are all from Birmingham and have just released a brand new album, titled Reflections.

Hey Adam, thanks for taking the time out to speak to us! So, there are four other members in your group, how did you guys meet?

Me and the singer, Shaun have been playing in bands since we were 14 together. We both went to school with Josh, the lead guitarist, so we have always shared the same interests. We started this band in 2008 and have just kept building it from that. We are all really good mates, but we have to be as we spend so much time together! Doing what we do, we see each other at our best and our worst, but it definitely brings everyone closer.

Are there ever any arguments or disagreements?

Yeah, all the time (laughs). We put a lot of time, energy and money into what we do and there are a lot of decisions to be made; naturally we clash a lot. We have always looked at the band as a democracy, everyone gets a say. Nothing has spiralled out of control but we do have plenty of arguments.

Have you guys ever done anything really rock ‘n’ roll like smash up your guitars and trash hotel rooms while you’ve been on tour?

I wish we had the money to be able to that, but unfortunately not! Times have really changed and venues are really strict about what goes on now compared to back in the 70’s and 80’s. We have a laugh and a good time and it can get really messy but we have never trashed anything!

Speaking of touring, have you ever toured with anyone amazing?

It depends on what people class as amazing. My first ever tour was with a classic rock band called Magnum. I went to see them when I was 14 with my dad in Wolverhampton. In 2009 I played the same venue supporting the band and got to bring my dad along as a member of the crew, to me that’s pretty awesome. I have also toured with Shinedown and Halestorm which are two of my favourite bands. When I explained it to my family at the time, I realised it’s not a big deal to most people, but to me it was a dream come true.

So you guys are all from the Birmingham area, how hard would you say it is to get recognised in this city?

Pretty hard. Birmingham has this ‘home of metal’ tag which is great for the city but nothing good has come out of here in the rock-scene for a long time. There are some cool venues in Birmingham, but in order to get recognised you need record labels and management companies just to wonder into the gigs, which is more likely to happen in London than Birmingham. We are lucky to have quite a strong and loyal Birmingham fan base, but it has taken us four years to get to that point. Birmingham has a lot of bands, which are all competing for similar goals. Only so many can achieve them.

Sounds like a tough business, do you ever feel like giving up?

I don’t think I could ever give up music; it has been too big a part of my life. There will always come a point when I can’t chase the dream anymore, but I don’t see that anytime soon.

What advice would you give to any singer or band in a similar position to yourself?

I think it is always important to play music you enjoy with people that you like. There is no longevity without both of those and why put your heart into something that you know won’t last? It is a cliché but practice is so important. We are lucky to own our practice room, but if you can practice at least twice a week then you will do well, but it is the only way for you to improve.

What are your plans for 2013?

Unfortunately we have recently lost a band member, but we have a huge headline gig booked at the Slade Rooms in Wolverhampton on 29th March. We plan on touring throughout the summer to anyone that will have us, so I am sure we will be around! Our brand new single is free to download, just follow the links on our Facebook: www.facebook.com/LibertyLies

Thanks for that Adam, good luck with your new single and album :)

By Amrit Pnaiser

No comments:

Post a Comment